Moreland is a progressive council with 180,000 residents: one community, proudly diverse. Our city is vibrant and energetic, known for its active community, array of fabulous festivals, eclectic shops and our community of artists and creative industries. As a Council, we’ve been supporting our community through difficult times, our long-term vision is planning for the future needs of its residents, businesses and visitors to ensure Moreland remains a livable city that celebrates its diversity, is future focused, addresses climate change and supports their resilient community to continue to live in an attractive, sustainable, accessible and safe environment.
Moreland Council strives to be a contemporary, innovative and collaborative organisation with a deep commitment to engagement with, the Moreland community. With the Civic Centre located in Coburg, 8 kilometer’s north of Melbourne’s CBD, there are excellent public transport options and great food and cafés right at the doorstep. Moreland City Council is a great place to live, work and play.
The Building Services team are transforming as Moreland embark on their next phase of being a customer-centric, high performing team, focussed on delivering exceptional outcomes for the organisation. As such they are seeking a likeminded individual with proven management and leadership skills to perform the role of Municipal Building Surveyor.
Responsible for managing a team of approximately 13 staff, you will be responsible for the smooth running of the department including:
- Technical Responsibility: Using a risk-based approach to ensuring safe buildings, construction works and occupancy of buildings within the municipality.
- People Management: Running a happy cohesive, high functioning building team. Responsible for hiring and day to day management as well as the identification of training and development opportunities for the team.
- Process Improvement: Identifying and carrying out ways to make the department more efficient as well as aligning with any new legislation relating to the Building Act and its functions.
- Operational Efficiency: Prepare and manage the departments budget, liaise effectively at a senior management level with peers within the organisation as well as external representatives from state government, local community, councillors, and the development sector.
The ideal incumbent will be registered with the VBA as an Unlimited Building Surveyor and have extensive knowledge of building and related legislation / acts. They will have the ability to prepare written reports / correspondence on complex issues in a concise and structured manner to target the appropriate audience. Above and beyond their technical capability this person will be able to think strategically about how to improve people and processes and be able to train, develop and inspire a team to new heights.
Why should you join Moreland:
- Extensive opportunities for training and career development
- Salary sacrifice options
- A real sense of work-life balance
- Flexible working arrangements
- Employer-supported study assistance schemes
- Wellness programs for example: free gym classes & social club
An attractive salary package will be negotiated with the successful applicant. Definitely an opportunity not to be missed!
Moreland City Council is proudly diverse and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, people with disability, and people from every culture, gender and sexuality identity, age and ethnic background. Moreland City Council is committed to being a Child Safe organisation and has zero tolerance for child abuse.