Technical Officer will need to provide assistance with engineering related enquiries, inspections of road openings and vehicle crossings applications and responding to a variety of other municipal engineering matters. This position also requires liaison with service authorities and provision of advice to residents and developers regarding future development.
This role will be based in the North West suburbs of Melbourne with an ASAP start until Oct.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- To undertake inspections, assessments and administration of Council’s vehicle crossing, road opening, road occupancy, road closure, work zone, and street party permit system.
- Preliminary assess submitted traffic management plans in accordance with relevant Australian Standards.
- Assess various civil works undertaken by contractors, service authorities, government agencies, residents and community, to ensure compliance to Council’s standards and guidelines.
- Liaise with service authorities regarding service installations and provision of advice and assistance to residents and developers for general enquiries regarding future development.
- Provide advice and assistance to residents and developers for general enquiries regarding future development.
- To provide support and assistance to Technical Services Department in provision of high quality work and relevant tasks.
- Provide a high level of customer service and liaise with staff at all levels whilst maintaining a high level of professionalism and integrity.
- Advise property owners of Council’s asset protection requirements prior to the commencement of building works.
- Carry out pre-works inspections for all works associated with a building permit and record the conditions of assets within the road reserve.
- Monitor all building sites during construction works to ensure that Council’s asset protection requirements are complied with.
- Carry out post-works inspection to verify that no damage has resulted to Council’s assets and make appropriate arrangements for refund of any bond monies held by Council.
- Where damage has resulted to Council’s assets, make an assessment of the extent of damage and make arrangements for repair at the permits holder’s expense.
- Carry our inspections associate with road opening permits, drainage connection permits and vehicle crossing installations, document the condition of the road reserve assets and ensure that all works are carried out according to Council’s requirements and industry best practise standards.
- Liaise, negotiate and supervise other authority construction works (water/gas main renewals, telecommunication cabling).
- Assist Council’s Citizen Services in answering public enquiries when required.
- Maintenance of permit system records and databases.
- Investigate all unapproved works with the view of recovering costs from the responsible party.
- Adoption of a work culture that is responsive to the changing work environment and which promotes flexibility in the performance of duties and values cooperation with management and staff.
Key Selection Criteria
- Degree in Engineering or other relevant technical field and some relevant experience, or lesser formal qualifications with substantial experience.
- Experience in providing high quality technical administrative support and customer service in an engineering or technical environment.
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand engineering drawings and specifications essential.
- Skills in managing time, setting priorities, planning and organising one’s own work to complete assigned tasks, in accordance with specified guidelines.
- Good level written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to write good standard reports and letters. Good level of analytical and investigative skills.
- Ability to provide professional advice to clients (including residents, businesses, traders, contractors, Council departments, VicRoads & other authorities) regarding administration of permits.
- Physically and mentally fit to undertake duties as outlined in this position description.
- Ability to efficiently achieve objectives and desired outcomes within set timeframes.
- Understand of the Local Government consultation and approval processes.
- Experience in Pathways, TRIM, Word, Excel, e-mail systems, GIS software and environments and database applications.