Building Inspector – Busy Eastern Suburb’s Council is looking to support their existing team with an extra resource.
Building Inspector is needed for one of the council located in the eastern region. As part of the Building Services team, you will assist in achieving safe and compliant building standards and continuously extend your skill set through exposure to varied and diverse building types.
Some of your duties include:
- Undertaking all necessary mandatory building inspections on all classes of buildings and structures to ensure compliance of building work with the building permit, approved drawings the Building Act and the Building Regulations.
- Undertaking the inspection and testing of building elements and components to assess compliance with the Building Act, Building Regulations and associated Standards and prepare associated reports.
- Maintaining and update building inspection records including the preparation of reports and ensure such systems are upgraded as necessary.
- Preparing Building Notices and Building Orders where building works do not comply with the Building Act and Building Regulations.
- Issuing and follow up of Infringement Notices when required.
- Arbitrating on site between various parties where disputes arise concerning building works.
- Investigating, take written statements and establish evidence to be used for prosecution where illegal building work has occurred.
- Acting as a witness in court where prosecutions are proceeded with.
- Preparing and check correspondence for signing by the Municipal Building Surveyor or delegate.
- Implementing Council policies and decisions as they relate to building inspections.
- Attending counter enquiries and receive applications for building permits, reports and consents and other relevant information.
To be successful in this position, you will need to demonstrate:
- Current registration as a Building Inspector – Limited
- Qualifications in building surveying or other relevant technical field
- Extensive knowledge of the Building Act and Building Regulations and National Construction Code
- Demonstrated experience in conducting site inspections in a regulatory environment
- Proven experience and knowledge in obtaining compliance with statutory and mandatory building inspections and relevant legislation.
- Ability to work as part of a team and motivate others within the team.
- Well-developed communication skills and the ability to deal effectively with a wide range of people.
- Ability to resolve complaints and resolve problems efficiently and effectively.